Breaking news: Southampton boss Tonda Eckert could be sacked and banned by the FA amid growing player unrest - nextfootballnews
Connect with us

EFL

Breaking news: Southampton boss Tonda Eckert could be sacked and banned by the FA amid growing player unrest

Published

on

Southampton F.C. are reportedly weighing up the future of manager Tonda Eckert after a major disciplinary ruling saw the club expelled from the EFL Championship Playoff Final on Saturday following allegations that the team brought the game into disrepute through spying on rival clubs.

According to reports, the club’s ownership, led by Dragan Solak, is said to be furious over the situation, with strong internal pressure building for action to be taken against Eckert. Senior figures are believed to be considering whether the manager’s conduct contributed directly to the sanction that cost Southampton a place at Wembley.

The controversy stems from findings that Southampton were involved in spying on several Championship sides, including Oxford United, Ipswich Town, and their semi-final opponents Middlesbrough, which ultimately led to a four-point penalty for the following season and their removal from the final by the EFL’s independent disciplinary commission.

Tensions inside the club are also reportedly rising, with players said to be unhappy about the situation and even exploring possible legal options due to concerns over lost earnings linked to the punishment.

Further pressure could also come from the Football Association, with reports suggesting Eckert may face misconduct proceedings under Rule E3, which allows for sanctions against individuals deemed to have brought the game into disrepute. If proven, the manager could face a lengthy suspension from football activities.

Meanwhile, reaction within the game has been strongly divided. TalkSPORT journalist Adrian Durham publicly supported the EFL’s decision, arguing that the punishment was necessary to protect the integrity of the competition and insisting that rule breaches must carry serious consequences.

Middlesbrough, who were reinstated in Southampton’s place after previously losing in the semi-finals, welcomed the ruling, with their manager Kim Hellberg also previously accusing Southampton of unfair conduct. The Teesside club are now set to face Hull City for a place in next season’s Premier League, while Southampton face an uncertain future both on and off the pitch.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending